Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Give Hope and Kick Cancer


In November 2010, one of my dear friends was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I don’t think I will ever forget the feeling that I had when I read her email.  I had so many unanswered questions.  Was she okay?  Would she be okay?  How far along was the disease?  How could I help?  I don’t remember exactly what my reply to her said, but I did everything I could to show her that I was behind her 100% in her fight, and I although I don’t think she would want my cooking, I do have a mean right hook.  That isn’t actually true about the right hook, but it sounds tough.  And for the record, I would in fact like to punch cancer in the face.

The fantastic news came when she emailed a few weeks later and said that she had gone through a battery of testing and that she is lucky enough to have the cancer that anyone with cancer would love to have (those were her words, not mine).  She has an early stage and it has a 100% survival rate!!!  Overjoyed does not describe the feeling.  But, it makes you realize that this is not the message that is always delivered.  Her message came because of her diligence around prevention.  A mammogram.  An annual mammogram.

The American Cancer Society recommends yearly mammograms starting at the age of 40, and continuing for as long as a woman is in good health.  They also recommend a clinical breast exam every 3 years for women in their 20’s, and 30’s, and every year for 40 and over. 

If my friend had not been so diligent, her cancer may not have been found until symptoms started to rear their ugly head.  Once symptoms are visible, you have far progressed down a path that you would prefer not to be on. 

Here is where I find her journey amazing.  She took her cancer as a challenge, and although she had an early stage, she still had to endure a lumpectomy and is starting her radiation in the next few days.  After she came through the other side of the lumpectomy, she sent an email to many of her friends, and she gave us our own challenge.  A challenge for us to endure while she is busy kicking her breast cancer’s ass.

This was her challenge:

1)       Bolster her in pursuit of a clean bill of health
2)       Raise awareness about breast cancer
3)       Show the importance of early screenings

I do my best to support her in any way I can and as often as I can, so now I am going to honor her request and raise awareness about breast caner.
BREAST CANCER STATISTICS
·         Except for skin cancers, breast cancer is the most common type of cancer among women in the United States and is the leading cause of cancer deaths among women ages 20 - 59. It is second only to lung cancer as a cause of cancer death among women.
·         Nearly 200,000 women will be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer this year (non invasive cases add 60,000 to this number) and about 40,000 women will die from breast cancer this year.
·         2,000 men in the US will be diagnosed this year and 400 men will die from breast cancer this year.
·         Breast cancer risk factors include: Age (95% of cases occur after 40), Higher Estrogen Levels ( Height, before 12 menstral cycle, later menopause, use of hormonal birth controls, over 35 first pregnancy), genetic mutations (there are several identified, but it is unclear how causative they are), family history (the more members of immediate and first degree relatives = higher risk) and being overweight or gaining weight after menopause.
·         Additional factors include exercise, socioeconomic status (higher=increased risk), breastfeeding (decreased risk).

So please take this information and pay it forward as we all have very important women (and men) in our lives that may not have the level of awareness necessary to get them to walk through that door. 


Peace out from the biggest girl on the smallest legs.
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment